Monday, September 22, 2008

Steps...Footsteps

Question: What do you call a guy that hangs out with four musicians? Answer: “the drummer.” In my life I have never claimed to be musically inclined. Even now I cannot carry a tune if it was in a bucket. When I first picked up a drum stick and started to make noise, I was not any good. With lots of practice and encouragement from those around me, I improved. When I first started playing with Only Anything, I was not able to play any of the covers that they played. Most of that reasoning might do with the fact that I could not ‘mimic’ the drumming in those songs; I simply was not good enough. So I played the songs that “the Jons” and Mat wrote. The first being some ska song (I can’t even remember the name, but the tune and some of the lyrics still ring though my mind). Kelby Thwaits and a couple others would pass the drum sticks around and play all of the other songs. I practiced as many times as I could. I remember one day coming home from school and the others were playing a new song. It sounded cool. I remember Mat was playing the drums when I walked in. I listened for a couple minutes and then they told me to sit down and play the same thing Mat was. I tried the beat, and was quite sloppy at first but picked up on it fairly quick. The song is “footsteps to a castle.” This is the first song that I really felt like “I got it.” Footsteps was a big [foot]step for me, a sort of turning point of being able to enjoy a rock with the others. The song has not evolved or changed too much over time, it still has the same drum beat and song that it was back then. It is not a tough song to play, but I really enjoyed playing it, because the song rocks!!

--Joe

No comments: