Friday, December 18, 2009

Frame By Frame


We have five more songs for you from the archives. This set starts off with a song recorded a decade ago: "Trial". It was written on New Year's Day 2000 and recorded soon after in Kelby's home studio. This was a deviation from the alternative rock arrangements of the classic Only Anything years. You may notice I was more discriminating in my choice of notes, letting some open space through at times and then coming in with very deliberate interplay between the bass, guitar and piano. There is just one guitar track and it is the nylon string acoustic, an instrument which around this time became the backbone of my arrangements. All of these five songs feature the nylon string guitar as the primary instrument. These songs have a more acoustic feel than the previous collections but you will hear some electric on "How Can I Last" and some steel string acoustic doubling with the nylon on David. Also listen for the harmonica and the more subtle soprano recorder. I'll let the rest of these songs speak for themselves, I believe they tell a little story. Here is Frame by Frame:

Download the whole EP here: Frame By Frame (right-click, save as)


Special Announcement!
I have been busy with non-musical things but I find myself with some extra time for the next month so I have plans to finish two new recordings that I had previously started and I have two more songs I would like to record if time permits. So in the coming months you can expect one more EP release from my archives and then some brand new tunes. Have a super holiday.

Jon T.

Short note from Jon Stone: Of the three EPs that we have posted thus far, this one has some of my very favorite songs on it. In fact, I think "Circus" might be my favorite song of Jon's that he has written in the last 10 years. It was so fun to play it during the Lancaster days. Enjoy folks!

3 comments:

Dustin said...

Awesome! Thanks Jon.
When are we getting the Spacecapers mp3s?

jonstone said...

Dustin--I started putting this together finally--It's gonna be cool. A bit of rebranding (new cover) and all of 19(!) songs.

Unfortunately, it's gonna be at least another 2 weeks, though. I just realized that I am missing a very important song--"Hey". Hopefully it is on my computer at home. Until then, know that I'm working on it.

Dustin said...

Two weeks...nothing to apologize about there. I have been listening to the tape that I got for like $4 for almost 14 years. Now free mp3s. I am pumped! I have one tape deck in the house and usually don't drag it out. This is gonna be rad! Thanks.