Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Making of Pleasantly Surprised

I'm very excited about what follows. In my archive exploration, I came across some amazing footage of the band as we recorded our first album in December, 1994.

I love this footage because it, as most good documentaries do, catches us doing what we loved to do: hanging out and making music--and doing it in our natural habitat. Gone is the posturing for an audience and, as you'll see more in later parts, the performances are intimate and really quite good. There's a lot of teenage noodling with the camera too, which is kind of fun. Another huge plus is the screen-time increase for our best bud and drummer (and brother!) Joe, as well as cameo appearances from Steve and Andy Hunt and Mindy (Hatch) Richins.

The Making of Pleasantly Surprised pt. 1 from Only Anything on Vimeo.



I am still planning on putting out that Weezer medley I promised, but also look for the next parts of what may be the best video footage we have--The Making of Pleasantly Surprised: a documentary in several parts.

Happy Birthday, Jon! You're all growed up!

3 comments:

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

Yeah! That was so fun! I'm pretty sure I've seen that one before- maybe you made a copy for us. Sally came over while I was watching it and I pointed out her daddy when he was a teenager and then the camera came on you and she said "that's Jon Stone"- it totally surprised me that she recognized you and knew your name so well. Thought you'd like to know that you aren't forgotten :)

jonstone said...

Yay for not being forgotten.

My favorite part of this is the beginning where John says "back up" and I do, and then I say, in a stroke of poetic genius, "Yup, uh-huh, no chicks want you."

(you kind of have to turn it up to hear it, but then you get blasted with the audio from "Footsteps"--my video editing software doesn't let me adjust audio over a black screen. dumb, huh?)

Jonathan G.Thwaits said...

This was quite a while ago. We were indeed little kids. I also have this footage on VHS. In a time when it wasn't quite as easy to document our lives we sure managed to get a surprising amount saved: a ton of photos, a lot of audio, video and some writings as well. We did good.