Saturday, June 20, 2009

OA Summer Song Series 09: Stone's "Old Psychosis"

Old Psychosis from Only Anything on Vimeo.

Here's my second summer tune. I've followed JT's lead here by posting it as a video and not an audio recording. The video option makes it a relatively quick process (though you have to make it through the whole song without messing up--which I don't quite do here--and it was at least a 6th take.)

This song was, like "My Last Mistake" started back in February as part of the RPM challenge. But whereas "Mistake" was pretty much done then, all I had on this one was the traditional blues chords and the first verse "Is there a gamma ray in your nightstand..."

This isn't the first bluesy flavored song I've written--I have another one that will for now only live on in our minds called "the letter" that we recorded back at the Thanksgiving "pie tunes" jam. My hard drive crashed in December and I lost the song which is tragic not because it was an incredible song--it wasn't. What makes me sad about it was that we had all kinds of guest players on it. Brothers-in-law Chad Adams and Trevor Thompson played guitar (that Chad can wail out a blues solo!) and Dave Bertoglio played a mean harmonica on it. :( Sad that it's gone, but we'll have to redo it sometime.

Anyway, hope you like this one, it's got some mistakes and some lyric issues to work out (though I'm ok with the fact that the title is "psychosis" and the actual lyric is "psychoses"-plural). Favorite part? Well that would have to be:

"all you wanna do is play me. betray me. cliché me, delay me, gamma ray me"

7 comments:

Jonathan G.Thwaits said...

I won't even say how many takes I usually do on a video. Good stuff, keep it coming.

jonstone said...

the difference = your songs have more than three chords. :)

chad said...

You had me at: "..traffic in your jam."

If we were rap artists, you would totally look outside the record booth window to see me jumping around saying,"OH! No he didn't! OH, Snap dawg!" I would also be putting my hand over my mouth and waving a work-out towel over my head.

-But this is blues music so I'll just say it was kickin' man.

The Margin Wight said...

Fillet me, okay me, good day me, bale hay me, canape me, stingray me, you don't say me, embay me, feet of clay me, cachet me, Malay me, away me, up tray me, belay me, and then there's slay me, but that's a little much. Don't you think? Caveat: I don't write lyrics.

Pat and Dave said...

I LIKE it! (BTW, who is this Margin Wight?)

The Margin Wight said...

The Margin Wight? Oh, he's a nobody. A figment. A mirage. A cartoon. Ignore the wight behind the curtain.

jonstone said...

The Bearded Margin Wight is not the random, creepy lurker that he may appear to be.

He is, in fact, a famed Champaign flutist who, on occasion, summons me to his margin to jam.

(he's a friend in my ward)