Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Summer 09 = MUSIC from the OA crew!

Howdy OAers! It's been several months since the last post. We've all been super busy with life. In the last year, I was accepted into my department's PhD program, Jon is pulling in scholarship after scholarship at ASU's engineering program, two of us labor in law school, and one of us made a major employment change.

If you are a member of the Imaginary Band Collective and are reading this, time to rev back into action. We got a TON of great photos in our last surge, but some of you are still sitting on your hands and haven't yet explored the dusty caverns of your basement. If you've done your photo duty, we now need short stories to go along with them and other non-pictured classic OA moments.

For all the rest of you, it's time to get some more content on. Here's what's on deck for summer 09:

Final show '97: Tribute to Weezer. We played several tunes by the =w= at that last show before I flew off to SF. I'm gonna work on getting the videos up for you.

Spacecapers: We have yet to get a digital copy of our second album up and downloadable. I think it represents the band at our best. Great songs, great theme, great cohesive composition. Watch for that.

Jon Thwaits solo work: Jon is an incredibly productive songwriter and has written a ton of songs in between actual band projects (which, over the years, has amounted to way more than actual band project time). I have two CDs full of these tunes and will make them available here in little chunks. We'll eventually get a new site up for him where these songs can go and live forever.

New Songs!!! We have stuff that we worked on last Thanksgiving during the Pie Tunes jams that haven't yet seen the light of day. I'm working on getting a few more of them up--
Additionally, I'm posting one new song I wrote last February when it was cold cold cold RIGHT NOW. It is a first attempt to map the feelings of a season and the story of another into a song of my own. I hope you like it. It's called "My Last Mistake". (right-click/save link as to download or just listen below)

In addition, Jon and I have issued a challenge to one another for the summer: write 10 new songs by the time that school starts in fall!!! We'll demo these songs for you as they surface. I'm really excited about this.

We've all but given up the dream of being famous musicians. But we just can't stop loving music and the song writing process. More and more, I find myself wanting to be better--in fact, I've practiced the guitar more in the last two weeks than I have in a long time. In addition to being a place to collect our musical memories and the friendships that surrounded them, this site will continue to be a place to share that love and our development as musicians and music lovers.

Enjoy!
My Last Mistake

4 comments:

Michelle said...

really digging the harmonies on this one yo. beautiful.

zane wants to know if you really went to the station...he's listening closer than I thought.

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

Looking forward to what the summer may produce. Also, I'm really liking your song...just imagining a faster tempo and some more rock ;)

Jonathan G.Thwaits said...

What can I say? I've got myself a punk rock girl, just like I always wanted! About the song, yes I like the harmonies, and I was impressed to hear that you pretty much nailed it on the first take. I'm looking forward to having some time to add a little zip zap to it with percussion and what not.

jonstone said...

it's alright--i'm a little bit country (something that I never thought I'd say) and she's a little bit rock & roll.

my next tune is gonna be a straight up barn-storm.

Seriously folks: Carter family? Woody Guthrie? Scruggs? Check, baby. Check.